Saturday, January 07, 2006

Rock Paper Scissors Mama Buzz

I went to the oakland.art.murmur with some folks last night. It was fun. I ended up running into Ben Lau there. Ben Lau? Yeah, I know, I barely remembered him too. The last time I talked to him was all the way back in high school youth group. The nice thing was he actually remembered me. So Oakland's got a bunch of DIY.collective.art.startup galleries that are trying to get things going. It's funny to me that this city is trying to grow this way (to form an artistic identity) even though it's been around 154 years. It seemed like Atlanta had a similar thing going on when I was there, but Oakland's so much more dense and developed than that city.

Come on Oaktown, it's like your little brother (7 years younger) beating you at basketball! Oakland's cool, it's just tough love folks. TL.

Ben seemed to be part of the RPS collective scene, talking about some zine stuff he's done and also the classes he's taken. When I was talking to him, I felt like I was looking back in time at myself. It seems like only a year ago when I was really interested in printing.art.creative venues in Oakland. I was doing the same thing as him: trying to figure how to lean to screenprint, taking classes, etc. I'm not sure where I'm at with that creative drive at this point.

I really liked the stuff for sale at RPS, but my favorite spot was Mama Buzz. They were showing paintings by Alison Blickle. She had 10 paintings up, all were kind of eery snapshops of modern life. They were really good. AB's really skilled at portrature: her own style was really developed: a simple, smooth, cool aesthetic of everyday portraits. My favorite two portraits, the lime and the burrito ended up being on the postcard for her show. I guess I have good taste (haha).

I feel kind of weird after seeing a bunch of art that I like. I think I feel inspired and depressed at the same time. I'm really inspired when people are really creative and good at their artmaking.creativepursuits. Seeing other people's work and progress makes me want to continue to explore my own voice in art making. However, I also get kind of depressed when I see how good people are already. I saw some awesome hand made journal and clothes at RPS and AB's paintings were really really well done. I thought to myself: yikes! I suck! These are all I've had the same ideas to produce clothing / books, but I haven't really gotten around to do it. It's weird to find out that people are already producing.creating projects that I've already thought out in my head. I've got to get my act together!

This is really good though because this year's started off really well in terms of art stuff. I feel like I've begun well with seeing good things to inspire me, and also seeing stuff that challenges me to get more obsessive with my own art work. You've got to be obsessive to be any good. I think most artists would agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home